Reverse sneezing is not actually a sneeze . It is a spasm that occurs when the soft palate and throat become irritated.
You will see an extended neck of your dog,when a spasm occurs, and hear a loud snorting sound.
You may think your dog is choking, or has a seizure, but Reverse Sneezing is in most cases harmless, your dog has no after effects, when it is over. (an average of about 2 minutes).
Reverse Sneezing can be caused by various types of irritants and even some dog allergies:
- The usual household chemicals/irritants, such dust, pollen, cleaners and sprays, .
- Viruses, nasal inflammation and post-nasal drip.
- Exercise, (like pulling too hard on the leash)excitement, fast eating + drinking, sudden temperature changes.
- Overweight/ obesity.
See, that you can get your dog to swallow, by:
- Gently massaging his throat.
- Blowing lightly into his nostrils.
- Take him outside to get some fresh air.
- Offer him some food or water.