**Road's End Papillons- established in 2006

**We are advocates of raw-, fresh, real food for our canine friends and pets;
and:
we follow limited vaccination guidelines.

**Please note that Road's End available Papillons are
only to be seen by clicking on the AVAILABLE page, unless mentioned otherwise

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Food-Snacks not to feed your Papillon,Phalene,Dog

Her is another reminder and list of foods/snacks you should absolutely not give your Papillon/Phalene, or any other dog.
  • Chocolate:
Chocolate contains Theobromine, a poisonous substance. If your dog eats to much of it, it may cause death. Especially dark chocolate and baking chocolate contains a high concentration of this substance. A average size dog, consuming as much as 2 ounces could be fatal .
Symptoms include: rapid, or irregular heartbeat, diarrhea, vomiting, dehydration.
  • Avocado:
Avocado has Persin in it, a highly poisonous substance to many animals. It may cause heart and lung damage.
Symptoms include, vomiting, and a very fast onset of diarrhea.
  • Onions & Garlic:
Onions + Garlic contain a substance, which will deplete the red blood cells in a dog.
If ingested regularly,or large quantities,  it will cause anemia, and possible kidney failure.
Symptoms include: pale gums, lethargy, blood in urine, vomiting, diarrhea.
  • Nuts:
Nuts contain several poisonous substances in them and should not be given to any dog.
Especially Walnuts, and Macadamia Nuts.
Symptoms, which can appear up to 12 hours past ingestion, include: vomiting, elevated heart rate, increased temperature, not able to walk or stand, paralysis.
Note: Nuts and chocolate combined, as of "Macadamia Nuts Cookies" are to be known as fatal.
  • Caffeine:
Caffeine, as in coffee, tea, and other beverages is definitely harmful to your dog.
This substance will stimulate the dog's central nervous- , and also cardiac system.
Symptoms include :Panting, or heavy breathing,  heart palpitations, restlessness, muscle tremors, bleeding.
  • Alcohol:
Do I have to get into this??
Alcohol has the same effect on dogs, as it does have on the human body.
The only difference is, as smaller the dog gets, as faster it will do the damage.
Alcohol contains Ethanol, and only a small dose will do heavy destruction to your pets central nervous system.
Symptoms of this poison include: depression, lack of coordination, difficulty breathing, panting, or may be coma/ death.
  • Mushrooms
 Wild-growing mushrooms - even the backyard variety - can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.
  • Peach, plum Pits, or any other Pits:
Can obstruct the digestive tract. (Intestines).

There are seeds, and pits which have Cyanide in them and other fatally poisonous substances.
Apples, peaches, apricots, plums and cherries are some of these fruits.
Raisins - newly discovered to contain unknown toxins that may damage the kidneys when consumed in quantity.
  • Raw eggs :
 Contain an enzyme called Avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin, a B vitamin. This can lead to skin, hair and coat problems. Raw eggs also may contain salmonella.
  • Salt:
Large quantities lead to electrolyte imbalance.



 
And there are a few other foods:
  • Cat Food : too high in protein.
  • Bones from fish, poultry, and other meats: causes obstructions and possible lacerations of the intestines.
  • Trimmed Fat: causes pancreatitis.
  • Human vitamin supplements containing iron : can be toxic to liver and kidneys, and other organs. Damages the lining of the digestive system.
  • Liver: in large amounts can cause Vitamin A toxicity that affects muscles and bones.
  • Sugar snacks-foods: leads to obesity, diabetes, and dental problems.
  • Tables scraps: only less than 10% of the daily food intake, if at all!!

 
Don't forget to print this page and hang it on your fridge!!

1 comment:

  1. Wer gibt seinen Hund den solche Sachen zu
    fressen???

    ReplyDelete